Which Flowers are Poisonous to Pets?

It’s uplifting and wonderful to have fresh bouquets dotted about the house but be wary as some flowers can be extremely poisonous to our pets with some being potentially fatal. And although dogs and cats will not usually eat anything that is poisonous for them and are very conscious of their surroundings, we wanted to make sure you were aware of these common flowers and plants that you need to be careful with.

Our advice is to keep these flowers and plants out of your pets reach and if they do happen to ingest any, to call your vet immediately, regardless of any or no symptoms and they can advise you on the next steps.

  • Daffodil (Narcissus)

In spring we see this yellow flower everywhere, but all parts of the daffodil are harmful to pets. One small bite of a daffodil bulb can sometimes be enough to kill a small animal and even drinking the water in which cut daffodils have stood is potentially hazardous. Please be careful when having these in your home or garden.

  • Eucalyptus 

Although a common treat for koala bears, and widely known for its healing benefits, eucalyptus can be poisonous for dogs and cats. Even a small amount ingested can result in serious harm.

  • Peonies 

Peonies can be found in the garden or a common flower to be given in a bouquet and can be poisonous to dogs and cats if eaten. Peony poisoning can cause stomach distress.

  • Azalea/Rhododendron:

Rhododenren are a very popular plant in the garden but it is also highly poisonous to our pets. Even if only a small amount is eaten, it can still have a detrimental effect.

  • Geranium: 

Another popular garden plant is the Geranium,  all parts of this particular plant are poisonous to both dogs and cats.

  • Hyacinth: 

When preparing your flower garden be careful when plating hyacinths around your pets as the bulbs are poisonous to both cats and dogs.

  • Tulip: 

These colourful blooms are a favourite around spring time but be careful when planting in the garden as the bulbs are the most toxic to our furry friends and the rest of the plant can be poisonous if eaten in large quantities.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.